Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 1999 17:20:23 -0400
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        "Kelsey Cummings" <kc@neteze.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: email content filtering

At 01:56 PM 9/30/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Hey all-
>    I'm considering adding some more advanced de-spamming to my email
>services.  I'd like to provide content filtering (for virus signitures,
>buffer overruns in subject lines, etc, etc.)  Also, ideally, real time
>blocking for inbound spam.  IE: I've recieved 20 copies of the same message
>for different customers, I'm going to spool all further messages that look
>like this one for manual processing (approval or rejection by the
>postmaster) in a a single group.

Be careful.. some of your customers may be on the same mailing
list - a perfectly valid place to be getting mail from. (Of course,
you could request that your customers give you the names of mailing
lists they are on, but I doubt that'd be real effective, or efficient).

>    Currently I am more concerned about inbound SMTP than what my customers
>are sending.   So- what I'm asking is:  what mail server could be used like
>this (after a message passed the filters it would be forwarded to the
>existing pop3/smtp server.)  I've heard that you can do this with Sendmail
>(although its way above my head) but I've also heard that procmail and qmail
>are the best choices.  Anybody have any experience doing this?  What qould
>you recommend?

procmail seems to be the easiest way to go.. however, I've never
used procmail (while I use FreeBSD to check my mail quite often,
I use a program with builtin filters, and thus have no need for
procmail...); you should ask somebody with a little more experience
with procmail - those I know who use it think it's awesome!

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>