Date:      Thu, 7 Nov 2002 21:36:25 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        FreeBSD current users <FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: This kernel lacks ppp support?

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 12:31:13PM +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> I've just tried to start pppd on two different -CURRENT machines, one
> built on 26 October, the other on 5 November.  In each case I get the
> following message:
>=20
>   pppd: This system lacks kernel support for PPP.  To include PPP support
>   in the kernel, please follow the steps detailed in the README.bsd
>   file in the ppp-2.2 distribution.
>=20
> Both kernel config files contain the requisite
>=20
>  options ppp
>=20
> In addition, I don't see anything looking like ppp-2.2.  Is this a
> bogon in the import of pppd?

pppd's prior to Tue Nov 5 05:58:31 2002 UTC don't work with ppp(4)
devices after the cloning conversion.  If you upgrade it should work.
As a workaround, you can do an "ifconfig ppp0 create" before running
pppd.  The change on the 5th was to test for ppp support by checking that
the module was compiled in or loaded rather then testing for interfaces.

-- Brooks

--=20

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s--