Date:      Sun, 8 Jun 2008 05:12:34 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andrew Snow <andrew@modulus.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: console access

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 07:53:32PM +1000, Andrew Snow wrote:
> Andy Kosela wrote:
>> Then you can even
>> remotely mount iso images from your laptop at home directly on the
>> server (very handy sometimes).
>
> Incidentally, when I tried to use a Supermicro IPMI card for networked
> remote media, FreeBSD boot loader crashed the machine (video went haywire
> and it didnt boot).

Supermicro IPMI cards are notoriously buggy.  A few of the system
engineers at Yahoo! who I know continually bitch and moan about how
horrible they are.  My advice: do not install the IPMI card which is
causing your problems.

Additionally, the IPMI card which "piggyback" on top of one of the
onboard Ethernet ports are going to force the use of something called
ASF (at least in Broadcom land it's called that), where the NIC then
has two physical MAC addresses -- yes, you read that right!  The OS has
to have support for that feature for it to work properly, and your local
LAN will probably freak out, ARP-wise.

> The same thing happened when trying to use a USB CDROM drive, so I suspect
> USB boot support is at fault somehow.

Booting FreeBSD off of USB devices is known to be broken; see "BTX,
boot2, and loader" section at the below URL:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/JeremyChadwick/Commonly_reported_issues