Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2001 00:29:52 +0100
From:      "Floris 'Tamama' van Gog" <floris@vangog.net>
To:        <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Got an Alpha 21066 rev 2 hardware rev 1, how to get to SRM?

Hi,

I recently received an Alpha motherboard with CPU and memory from a
friend. I stuffed it in an AT case, attached a SCSI HDD and cdrom to it,
added a Matrox Millenium 1 to it and booted. It comes in this:
--------
Alpha Firmware Version 4.42
Copyright(c) 1993-1995 Microsoft Corporation
Copyright(c) 1993-1995 Ditigal Equipment Corporation

Boot menu:

Boot Windows NT
Boot an alternate operating system
Run a program
Supplemantary menu
---------

The machine previously ran Linux redhat, but since i didnt get an
harddisk to go with it, it can't boot it :-)

Now as I have never even seen an Alpha in my life, I am sort of puzzled.
The FreeBSD install guide keeps talking about an SRM prompt and all
that... but I don't seem to have it at all! Argh this is frustrating :-)

Any help to get to that SRM prompt is greatly appreciated.

Floris