Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 1995 21:12:04 +1000 (EST)
From:      michael butler <imb@scgt.oz.au>
To:        ck@toplink.de (Christian Kratzer)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pppd server with dynamic ip assignment

Christian Kratzer writes:

> Some time ago I hacked a small Extension to pppd that has been performing
> quite well.  I would like to contribute it to freebsd.

Yes, please :-) Fixing an IP address to each modem, whilst it's simple, is
not the way I want to do things ..

> After fighting with the broken proxyarp option in pppd for two weeks we now
> implement proxy arp using the following ip-up and ip-down scripts.

Why do you need proxy-arp ? I haven't found any need for it since the patch
to enable a netmask of 255.255.255.255 in pppd was posted (in '-current'). I
don not know if the same patch has propagated into -stable.

I suspect that proxy-arp combined with using the same address for ppp
interfaces as ethernet doesn't get on at all well.

Actually, I prefer to have all my dial-ins allocated out of a subnet that
isn't the same as my "home" subnet(s) as I can then use fewer IPFW rules to
prevent access to things.

> I do also have a question for hackers that might be a good thing to solve
> once we are at it.  Every time a users disconnects from pppd we get a list
> of error messages to the console. Is this a bug with 2.0R ?

> Sep 23 21:28:15 mail pppd[25600]: ioctl (PPPIOCGFLAGS): Inappropriate
> ioctl for device

I've used pppd with '-stable' and '-current' but I don't see this, only gated
complaining about a route that was there when it last looked and that isn't
any more because pppd deleted it :-) I'm using mgetty on the cuaa devices,
however, because the same lines also take inbound fidonet callers ..

Perhaps '-stable' is worth a peek ?

	michael