Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 1997 13:33:54 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@cold.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Which way is 'correct'? (was: Re: Aliases)

>From this thread I heard that both of the following ways of adding an IP
alias will work.  What I'm wondering is which way is the 'best' way?

    ifconfig lo0 alias x.y.z netmask 255.255.255.255
    arp -s x.y.z 00:c0:f0:0a:25:de pub

vs:

    ifconfig ed0 alias x.y.z netmask 255.255.255.255
    arp add x.y.z 127.0.0.1

They both work, which is the better way?  Frankly I'd think the latter
would be, as it isn't tied to any hardware configuration (i.e. the
ethernet address).

-Brandon Gillespie