Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 2004 18:40:38 -0400
From:      Steven Friedrich <StevenFriedrich@InsightBB.com>
To:        "FreeBSD-Questions" <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Getting CUPS configured on FreeBSD

I set up CUPS over a year ago and got it to work partially.

I've been wrestling it again and I've read all the CUPS docs and tutorials on
varios Linux sites.

I have an HP560C (which needs LF to CR/LF translation) on parallel
port /dev/lpt0.

If anyone has a HP manual on the 560C, I'd like to know the definitions for
the two switch banks on the front of the printer.  I'm pretty sure one of
those switches will enable auto LF to CR/LF translation.

Originally, I used only CUPS software and I can print from various X apps (I
use mostly KDE apps).

I want to also be able to print from a shell, but all I get is some garbage.

Do I need to use cups-lpd?  I tried, but it didn't print anything intelligable
(is that spelt right?).

I've manipulated/authored printcap entries before, but CUPS took over that
file anyway.

A year ago, I noticed that CUPS web interface wouldn't let me choose a
parallel port unless the printer was turned on before I booted.  Now it
doesn't allow me to specify a parallel port at all.  But I CAN
hand-edit /usr/local/etc/cups/printers.conf and set it to a valid parallel
URI.