Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 15:08:18 -0500
From:      Tom Rhodes <darklogik@pittgoth.com>
To:        Johnson David <djohnson@acuson.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advocacy help for CS professor

--0HYOWq(=.wuprx:u

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 11:27:38 -0800
Johnson David <djohnson@acuson.com> wrote:

> On Friday 22 March 2002 10:30 am, Tom Rhodes wrote:
>
> > I also found it very aggrovating last week when I called IBM to
> > purhcase a laptop and they refused to ship a laptop with either
> > linux or a formatted harddrive!  It had to come with WindowsXP,
> > and I replied very friendly ``I do not want XP, I want to buy a
> > computer, I want my choice as a customer, can you provide me with
> > my choice?'' and I got smacked with a very unfortunate no.  I find
> > that wrong, I find it ignorant, in America we are apperently to
> > have the freedom of choice, if I do not want to pay that $100
> > (somewhere around there) for software that has no real use to me,
> > why should I?
>
> Simply tell them "no thank you", and take your business elsewhere.
> Life is too short to waste arguing with salesman who don't want to
> sell.
>
> You may have to capitulate and buy a laptop with Windows on it. But
> don't knuckle under to the first dealer that won't deal.
>
> David

hehe, was the third.  I tried Dell, HP, IBM, and afterwords I called
up Gateway, who told me the same thing.  Here is what bothers me a
little bit, IBM has put alot of time into linux, and even 1 or more
of the FreeBSD Developers work there in the linux dept.  I really
do not understand that.  Dell is another one who started to do it,
they put money and/or time and said they would sell with linux, and
then just cut it (I read the news about it)

So yes, after a talk with the IBM sales person, I was informed that
IBM is planning to do it in the future, but it just has not gone
through...  So, I am looking elsewhere ;)

--
Tom (Darklogik) Rhodes
www.FreeBSD.org  -The Power To Serve

--0HYOWq(=.wuprx:u