Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:17:27 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        "James R. Van Artsdalen" <james@jrv.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD amd64 List <freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Server motherboard recommendation?

Francisco Reyes wrote:
> >Looking to setup a small server with FreeBSD amd64.
> >Any recommendations on a motherboard?
> >Preferably one with ECC memory support and 64bit PCI (for a 3ware card).

I suggest the Tyan S2850 Tomcat K8S for "small" servers.  It is a quite
small ATX motherboard.  The problem for your use is it doesn't have
PCI-X (ie, 64-bit PCI).

On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 06:22:23PM -0600, James R. Van Artsdalen wrote:
> "Small server" means different things to different people.
>
> The Tyan S2885 motherboard works well and has four 64-bit PCI slots as
> well as an AGP slot and 32-bit PCI.
> http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8w.html

The Tyan Thunder K8W is way not a server motherboard.  The "W" stands for
workstation and has AGP graphics vs. what you want for a server --
onboard VGA so you can put the machine in a 1U or 2U case.

The Tyan Thunder K8SR (s2881) or K8Spro (s2882) is much better suited for
a server.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)