Date:      Sat, 10 Jul 1999 23:02:36 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: microp 4421-07 fails on tags...

Kenneth D. Merry scribbled this message on Jul 10:
> John-Mark Gurney wrote...
> > Kenneth D. Merry scribbled this message on Jul 10:
> > > John-Mark Gurney wrote...

> > > You need to be a little more specific about how the drive is broken, and
> > > how you tested it.
> >
> > the drive will not return ccb's (the ccb's will timeout) if you have 2
> > or more tags defined in the quirk structure...  I tried various levels
> > of tags from the default limit and 2, 8, 16, and 32 if I remeber
> > correctly...  all of those would cause a ccb to not be returned and end
> > up timing out, and now that I have this entry in, I can run with the
> > fs's on it no longer mounted sync (which helped prevent to many commands
> > from hitting the drive)...
>
> Hmm, sounds like buggy firmware all right.  Don't you mean "no longer
> mounted _async_"?  In any case, softupdates would have had a similar
> effect, and isn't dangerous to run with.

nope, I did mean sync, it seemed to help and actually let me do some
installs on the disk, while w/o it, it would fail...

> > since I didn't have the nice camcontrol ability to set tags, I had to
> > build kernels to test this...
>
> That's unfortunate.  You would have been able to do it with -current or
> -stable from early May on.

yeh, I noticed, but I did most of the work before the tree was integrated,
and I had problems with 3.1-R being worse than 3.0-R as far as the vm
system was concerned...

> > of course this still doesn't address the fact that Justin hasn't gotten
> > back to me on the fact that the adv driver is broken wrt chinon cdrom
> > drives...
>
> Not surprising, I suppose.  You might want to ping him again.
>
> Anyway, your drive sounds broken enough.  Feel free to commit the patch.
> Make sure you mention the name of the drive in the commit message, and make
> sure you commit it to -stable as well as -current.  I'm sure someone will
> squawk if they have a 4421 that works properly with tagged queueing.

yeh, the Microp don't actually have a name for their drives, just their
model number...  and if they do, we can figure out the fireware rev
part of it...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                              Voice: +1 541 684 8449
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  "The soul contains in itself the event that shall presently befall it.
  The event is only the actualizing of its thought." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson