Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 1995 02:37:54 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu, wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make(1) extension for SHELL COMMANDS

>>It's not what it says about the Bourne Shell that's relevant here,
>>it's what it says about the `make' program.  In particular, it says
>>that all commands are to be executed by means of `/bin/sh -c'.

Doesn't it say `as if' by `/bin/sh -c'?  It's probably too hard for
`make' to know when `/bin/sh -c' need not be used.  E.g., the command
might be a shell script not beginning with #!/bin/sh.  Then `/bin/sh -c'
of the script would work but exec of the script would fail.

>pmake use /bin/sh -c or /bin/sh -ec

>    } else {
>        /*
>         * No meta-characters, so no need to exec a shell. Break the command
>         * into words to form an argument vector we can execute.
>         * brk_string sticks our name in av[0], so we have to
>         * skip over it...
>         */
>        av = brk_string(cmd, &argc, TRUE);

Does it handle weird $IFS's?

>>Well, that's yet another way in which pmake is broken with respect to
>>POSIX.  I'm not at all surprised to hear it.  We don't need to make
>>the situation even worse than it already is.

>Is POSIX a religion? I want a good OS ...

I think an escape should be allowed.

Bruce