Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 10:20:35 -1000
From:      richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk)
To:        Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scsi disk question

}
} I posted about this to -stable this morning, but now it's a hardware question
} I think :).
}
} I've got an IBM DCAS 3216W (2G UW drive) as my root disk, sd0.  After a power
} failure, /var/news/history.pag contained a non-recoverable bad block -- the
} kernel would try four or five times to access it, and then would fail,
} resulting in an I/O failure.  This persisted after a reboot.
}
} After I found the file with the bad block, I removed it, and recreated it;
} this went well, and, so far, the system has continued to function.

It would have been better to rename it to something like .bad-blocks.

}
} My question is:  will the disk now ignore this bad block?  Normally, I'd
} assume it would (it being an intelligent, scsi disk with Read-Write Error
} Recovery enabled), but, well, it didn't before :(.

The drive knows nothing of filesystem file creation and deletion.  You
need to reformat the disk.

By deleting the file you've put the bad block back into play.  It will
probably surface elsewhere.

If you're not ready to reformat then you might fill the remaining free
space on the disk with small files until the bad block resurfaces, and
stash it out of the way.

}
} I'm currently planning on getting a new disk today, but I'd prefer not to if
} possible, obviously :).
}
} Anyone know for sure?
}

Dunno.  New bad blocks is a bad sign.  Reformat and exercise (verify)
the drive heavily to see if it will remain stable now.

Richard