Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 01:33:19 -0600
From:      Kevin Weiss <kevin.weiss@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   trying to get my ports to work

I am currently using FreeBSD 2.2.8, and have made no
update to my ports, and I've only added ports (well, I mean
I ran a pkg_add command from my mounted 1st cd)

Basically, I am getting fetch error, and a message
saying something about "try porting manually to
/usr/ports/distfiles and try again"

error 1
stop

error 1
stop

so basically, when I'm in the "ports" dir (on my HDD),
I cannot do a make, make install, or a make -DBATCH install
I heard one suggestion about su'ing the root, but I was in
root, and I also checked the permission rights on the
../distfiles dir, but I had writes permission as a user.

What am I doing wrong?

PS - Which CD has the famous "GIMP" on it?