Date:      Wed, 02 Feb 2000 14:36:09 -0500
From:      Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Why to use seperate partitions

This is all very understandable from the SysAdmin's point of view.  But are
there any comparable advantages for Joe Unix who is using his machine solo
or with a few moderate users?  And can't quotas be used to stop any rampant
growth in particular areas?

I'm not doing backups or anything like that on my personal system, and I
never can predict which areas (e.g., var or tmp or usr) are going to grow
the fastest.  So I've also typically just installed everything into one
large root [/] directory.  For somebody without any experience or even a
good idea of how a system may be used, directory subpartitioning seems like
a hit-or-miss proposition at best.

Heck, I wouldn't even know how much room to allocate to the theoretically
immutable root directory....

K.--