Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2023 15:08:43 +0300
From:      Gleb Popov <arrowd@freebsd.org>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: devel/llvm10: deprecate, set short expiration ( lang/ghc810 has LLVM_VERSION= 10 )

On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 2:28=E2=80=AFPM Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org> w=
rote:

> This seems to be an arm-only thing.  What's going on here? Do we have to
> keep llvm10 around forever just for ghc on arm?
>
> -- Brooks

GHC has a native code generator and a LLVM-based one. On ARM the
native generator doesn't work with old GHC's, so the only way to have
Haskell working is via LLVM. At the same time the LLVM backend can
still be used even with new GHC and on amd64.

Removing llvm10 would remove lang/ghc810 and its dependents from the
ARM package list and would also prevent bootstrapping newer GHC's on
this platform. Luckily, we already have GHC 8.10 bootstrapped for ARM,
which still makes it possible to build lang/ghc92 and proceed from
there. GHC 9.2 uses LLVM 12, which I hope will stay for a while.

That being said, I don't really have an opinion on LLVM 10 removal. I
don't have time to keep up with Haskell stuff anymore so I don't want
to drag other into maintaining more old software.