Date:      19 Dec 2001 13:25:26 +0000
From:      Tom Wirschell <T.Wirschell@fin.pinkroccade.nl>
To:        aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Interesting developments

On Tue, 2001-12-11 at 11:00, Tom Wirschell wrote:

> Still no feedback from the list about this issue, so here's the latest
> trace. Again, parity is off per Justin's advice.

Because I was getting messages during boot about IRQ's of certain
devices not being where it wanted them to be, I dove into the BIOS of
the motherboard and turned off the APIC. It was set to enable with below
it the 'MPE Ver.' (this is from memory. Might be something else) set to
1.4 (other value for this item is 1.2, but when APIC was disabled, this
couldn't be set anymore).

Now that it's off, my problems have ceased. I'm on 345 scans without any
signs of problems, where getting over 150 would almost require an act of
God.

The motherboard in question is the MSI K7Turbo2 v5 with a VIA KT133
chipset. The board I had in this machine before that was a Tyan Trinity
400 which also had this chipset. I don't know if it too had APIC on in
the BIOS, but I assume it did.

Sincerely,

Tom Wirschell
--
"...very few phenomena can pull someone out of Deep Hack Mode, with two
noted exceptions: being struck by lightning, or worse, your *computer*