Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 18:44:54 -0400
From:      Omar Thameen <omar@clifford.inch.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   cpu/motherboard recommendations

After several years of success with ASUS P/I-P55T2P4 motherboards and
Intel P133 processors, we're looking to upgrade our standard server build.

The choices we've narrowed down to are an AMD K6-2 with a Super 7
motherboard (MVP3 chipset), or an Intel Pentium II with a motherboard
having a 440BX chipset (probably an ASUS P2B-D since we've had good
experiences with them).

I'm getting conflicting information about the advantages of each.
Some have said that the AMDs perform better because they have
bigger caches (both level 1 and level 2), while others have said
that Intel's PII cache may be smaller, but it's better quality.

Does anyone have any opinions, experiences, or recommendations?

Thanks,
Omar