Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 05:15:36 -0500
From:      Muhannad Asfour <muhannad07@cogeco.ca>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make.conf

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001 10:52:42 +0100
Julio Merino <juli@merino.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 03:20:13AM -0500, Muhannad Asfour wrote:
> > I just cvsupped to 4.5-PRERELEASE recently and noticed that when compiling things, it uses -march=pentiumpro even though I specifically have "CPUTYPE=p3" in my /etc/make.conf file.  I even tried switching this to i686 instead of p3, yet it keeps using -march=pentiumpro.  How can I make it use the correct architecture?
>
> Does GCC 2.95 support more architectures than pentiumpro?
>

> > Thanks

> --
> La ignorancia es la felicidad.
>
> Julio Merino (Slink) <juli@merino.net>

I would think it does, or else putting the CPUTYPE option in make.conf would be useless.  It also lists the CPU types that you can choose from.
# Currently the following CPU types are recognized:
#   Intel x86 architecture:
#       (AMD CPUs)      k7 k6-2 k6 k5
#       (Intel CPUs)    p4 p3 p2 i686 i586/mmx i586 i486 i386
#   Alpha/AXP architecture: ev6 pca56 ev56 ev5 ev45 ev4

Emphesis on "recognized".  *shrug* So I would guess that it would work.