Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 1995 20:56:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Dyson <dyson>
To:        jdl@chromatic.com
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: *MORE* FS problems, please fix!

> Apparently, Terry Lambert scribbled:
> >
> > Well, if I can't get patches committed, the least I can do is
> > complain about problems and hope someone else can get their possibly
> > identical patches committed instead.

> > Whoever reimplements this change (my patches aren't "good enough")
> > should note that it will be about as large in scope as the patches
> > I already submitted for FS layering.  This means that you probably
> > don't stand a chance of success unless you have commit priveledges.

	Such bitterness is not appropriate or called for.  Any changes
that are based upon Terrys' work will give him credit -- even if
they are not identical!!!  There is lots of stuff going on right now
and I want to review the stuff before committing it.  For the first two years
that I was on the FreeBSD team, I did not commit any code at all.  Everything
was subject to review, in fact I demanded it -- and grossly overloaded
David in the process.

> Wait.  I don't get it.  I've been using FreeBSD for a solid year.
> I've been watching this list for just under a year.  I've personally
> noted that almost everything Terry has said has had some kernel of
> truth to it even if he had to argue his point *again* and *again*.
> And maybe some of it was tainted with personal agenda occasionally,
> but we all do that to a certain extent.

Terry does have some very interesting ideas -- and sometimes I enjoy
reading his discussions.  Since one person on the team had problems
testing the specific changes in question, I would like to verify and
check them out.  If I don't David would!!!  Note that even though I
respect him (and others on the team do also), sometimes various
people don't always agree with his positions.  That is okay though,
David doesn't always agree with mine also!!!

> Nevertheless, I'm quite at a loss to understand why either:
>
>     1) He feels his patches are "good enough", or
>
>     2) His patches *aren't* good enough.

It looks like the patches might be out-of-date, but they are still
interesting.

> Am I missing something fundamental?  I don't think should piss
> Terry off and have him leave the FreeBSD project in a huff.  It

I don't want to "piss" Terry off either, but I haven't included
any structural changes without peer-review, and I am not likely
to either.  You would not believe DG's and my phone bills.  Mine
has been as high as $600/mo talking to DG!!!  Not because DG is
"better" than me or more "experienced" than me (he isn't, he is
different than me and can spend more time thinking about architectural
issues than I can sometimes), but I do talk to him ALOT, keeping him
up-to-date on proposed changes.

> just wkouldn't be right.  So where are the negative vibes coming
> from, Moriarty?

I think the problem is with mis-communication and mis-understanding
on the part of the parties involved.  IT will work out, because the
parties do have the best intentions.

John
dyson@freebsd.org