Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 1995 02:43:42 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        blair@itsnet.com (Blair Schmittel)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD???

Blair Schmittel stands accused of saying:
> >> With sendmail which is running in the background, it will send mail out of
> >> the system through a shell account, but will no let any remote site connect
> >> to the server.  The server refuses the connection.
> >
> >Hmm. Sendmail can't send mail via a 'shell account', so I've got no idea
> >what you're on about there.  Whant to be a bit more specific about
> >"the server refuses the connection" ?? What do you get if you say
>
> I meant using "mail ???@remotehost.com"

Ok, so mail outwards is working OK.

> >% telnet localhost smtp
> >
> It connects, then says ESMTP spoken here, then it freezes.

Alright, that's different from a refused connection, it's waiting for _you_
to say something.  Try typing EHLO and hitting enter.  You should
get a message along the lines of

250-myhost.my-domain Hello myhost [10.0.0.1], please to meet you

If this happens, there's nothing wrong at your end.

> blair schmittel     CyberNaut

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[