Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 1997 16:38:05 EST
From:      n9ogk@juno.com (Jack W Doyle)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Aaarrgghh!!! This fscking hostname/domain setup...

Ok I got a tiny problem that haunts me at night, because I couldn't find
much help anywhere, even after buying the DNS & BIND book.  Here's my
situation:  I am trying to set up my box to be rhyolite.org, which will
be 10.0.0.2 as the address for the time being (but want to be able to
connect to the Internet part of the time).  I set up the system in such a
manner that when it looks at /etc/hosts it says:

127.0.0.1  localhost localhost.rhyolite.org
10.0.0.2   rhyolite rhyolite.org

And in /etc/sysconfig:

hostname="rhyolite.org"
defaultdomainname="rhyolite.org"

Now we go on to /etc/resolv.conf:

search rhyolite.org
nameserver  0.0.0.0
nameserver  10.0.0.2

(and I don't want a nameserver -- just a domain name setup)  The
/etc/host.conf is set up to look at bind first, then hosts.

System bootup shows at lo0 this:

lo0:8049<UP,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
	inet 10.0.0.2 netmask 0xff000000

But when I run nslookup with the debug mode on, the result is this:

Server: rhyolite.org
Address: 0.0.0.0

>set debug
>telnet rhyolite

;;res_mkquery(0, telnet.rhyolite.org, 1, 1)
recvfrom: Connection refused
recvfrom: Connection refused
recvfrom: Connection refused
recvfrom: Connection refused

*** 0.0.0.0 can't find telnet: No response from server

Similar results appear when telnet 10.0.0.2 is tried.

What am I doing wrong?  DNS & BIND doesn't cover single-machine,
part-time Internet-connectivity domain setups that much - only touches
upon them, so I am a bit on the stumped side.

Jack

You know you've been using UNIX enough when:
* You remember UNIX commands faster than those for DOS.
* You try to configure Win95 the same way you try to configure your X
window manager.
* Someone asks you what wordproc you use and you reply 'vi' (or your
favorite text editor).
* You type 'ls -a' instead of 'dir /w' in DOS.