Date:      Wed, 2 Mar 2011 17:01:42 +0100
From:      Maarten Bosmans <mkbosmans@gmail.com>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org, General PulseAudio Discussion <pulseaudio-discuss@mail.0pointer.de>, Michal Varga <varga@stonehenge.sk>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pulseaudio: module.c: module-detect is deprecated: Please use module-udev-detect instead of module-detect!

2011/3/2 Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>:
> on 02/03/2011 17:18 Michal Varga said the following:
>> On Wed, 2011-03-02 at 16:13 +0100, Michal Varga wrote:
>>> So instead of fixing things like these in ports, I'd say the issue
>>> should be reported/fix submitted to upstream, it's pretty much possible
>>> that they don't even know that there are systems that don't run evdev
>>> (note that I don't mean it offensively, more like speaking generally
>>> from experience, it simply happens).
>>>

>> Eh, I meant udev of course, I guess that's enough coffee for me today.
>
> That's possible, of course. =C2=A0Another possibility is that they think =
that
> everything is Linux, or everything is like Linux, or they don't care abou=
t not Linux.

Development of pulseaudio is certainly a bit of a linux-focused
affair. But we very much want other platforms to be included as well,
as can be seen by the OSX, *BSD, Solaris and win32 support currently
in the tree.

> I am all for contacting them, for sure.
> Just want to point out that the proposed patch would not be against the n=
ature of
> the ports, because it doesn't affect functionality, but addresses OS diff=
erences.

There is already some FreeBSD specific code in PulseAudio upstream.
Especially considering some changes required to make pulse run on
freebsd and netbsd are quite similar, I think it makes sense to submit
your patches.

> --
> Andriy Gapon

Maarten