Date:      Sat, 08 Dec 2001 15:06:03 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        David Rowe <david@voicetronix.com.au>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie: Driver for PLX9050

> > The chip driver is entierly bogus and only claims things that nothing
> > else does.  This generally means that your probe code isn't working
> > correctly because if it were your driver would have claimed this device.
>
> As I am installing my driver after boot time (using KLD), the chip
> driver has already claimed the PLX device, and mydriver_probe is not
> presented with the device id for the PLX device.
>
> Does this mean I can only install my driver as part of the kernel, not
> using KLD?

You really have two problems; the vendor hasn't configured the PLX part
correctly, so it's not coming up as a device, and secondly the 'chip'
driver is totally bogus.

You can still build as a KLD, but you may be forced to load at boot time.
The 'chip' driver has been ditched, but you're stuck with regard to older
releases (probably the entire 4.x family).