Date:      Fri, 1 Oct 1999 16:02:54 +0100
From:      R.Inder@ed.ac.uk
To:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Cc:        richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk
Subject:   Upgraded to oblivion

I have recently upgraded a working i4b installation with the latest
version, and now it doesn't work at all!

I am running FreeBSD 3.2 on a PC which has an ELSA 1000pro PCI graphics
card.  My phone line has British Telecom's "Home Highway" box.

In the beginning, I configured the kernel and set up the version
of i4b that came with the OS.  It worked OK: it would dial on demand,
connect to Freeserve and authenticate all in the twinkling of an eye.

Thanks and contratulations all round.

EXCEPT....
   a) the machine would not boot if the ISDN line was actually
      plugged in the wall at boot time.  It would detect the card OK,
      but then hang, apparently indefinitely, at the point where it
      attempts to attach things to the ISDN devices.  If the line
      is not plugged in, it would boot OK.
   b) it wouldn't hang up!

I'm confident the hangup problem related to my configuration file.
But I decided not to worry about that until I had tried the latest
version of i4b to see whether it would fix the boot problem.

So I
   - fetched i4b-00.83.00-beta-300799.tar.gz and unpacked it
   - looked at the FreeBSD INSTALLATION file
   - ran "sh overinstall.sh"

   - built a new kernel, installed it and re-booted.
     I did not change the kernel configuration file, since it was
     all working happily, right?

     Something complained about a mismatch between the kernel and the
     daemon.  Checking dates showed me that "overinstall.sh" hadn't
     actually installed anything at all.

     So I went to the directory where I had unpacked the tar file, and
     ran
         make depend
	 make
	 make install
     Everything went through smoothly: no errors or complaints, and a shiny
     new /sbin/isdnd.

Then, I re-booted the machine.  Oh dear....

With the new configuration, /var/log/messages gets filled up with messages
(a batch of half a dozen or so added every second) from /kernel trying to
start up a link, and then reporting that it is closing down.

ifconfig reports the link being "up" and "running", but it doesn't connect
effectively --- I'm not sure whether it tries to phone up at all, or is
trying once per second.  ((To guard against the possiblity that it is
succeeding once per second, I unplugged the line: no change....))

Trying to track down the problem, I stepped through the script I used
in setting up the original version --- essentially, the one in section
9.2 of "care and feeding...".  The ifconfig down was fine, but

    spppcontrol isp0 myauthproto=pap

failed with an error message about a bad parameter: something like
SIOCGIFGENERIC(SPPPIOGDEFS).

If the details of any particular error message would help, I could get
them.

But I'm mostly baffled that starting from a bog standard FreeBSD
installation with a 95% working system, running the recommended isntall
script and performing the various "makes" without problem has left me with
a system that is completely broken.

Assuming that i4b-00.83.00-beta-300799.tar.gz works at all, what could
have gone wrong?  What do I do next?

Robert.