Date:      Wed, 8 Jun 2005 12:38:25 +1000
From:      =?WINDOWS-1252?B?lSCV?= <googl3meister@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which motherboard for RAID in AMD64?

On 6/8/05, Adriaan de Groot <groot@kde.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 June 2005 17:32, you wrote:
> > On Sun, 5 Jun 2005, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> > > Via KT800's embedded RAID which shows up as atapci1: <VIA 6420 SATA15=
0
> > > controller> works as a RAID controller; configure the RAID array befo=
re
> > > installation and use ar0 as the device to install FreeBSD to.
> > >
> > > Promise 20378 RAID which shows up as atapci0: <Promise PDC20378 SATA1=
50
> > > controller> works as a RAID controller; same deal.
> > >
> > > My K8V has both of these controllers,
> >
> > I am a little confused. Do you have one of those onboard and the second=
 as
> > a pci card?
>=20
> Lots of motherboards have two RAID controllers on board. See, the VIA KT8=
00
> chipset has one and some vendors add a second, like a promise, for added
> value. 4 SATA connectors on the motherboard, on two different controllers=
.
>=20
> > > my Gigabyte board only the VIA.
> >
> > Which model?
>=20
> Mmm, you could look that up in the motherboard list, but it's the GA-K8VT=
800.
> That one has only the VIA embedded RAID.
>=20
> --
> These are your friends - Adem
>     GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot
>=20

Just to confirm, the Promise controller on the Asus A8V Deluxe works
also - I disabled the other onboard VIA SATA RAID and just use the
Promise for mirrored drives - works a treat. Configured at first boot
and installed directly to ar0. Have split and rebuilt the world (as
i386) just for testing. Thinking of a stripe on the VIA later maybe
for swap. Have to say it's kinda neat to have 2 onboard raid even if
only a 'consumer' level (no hot swap, battery backup), but the price
is definitely right.

--cheers
gm