Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2024 09:17:06 +0800
From:      Zhenlei Huang <zlei@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Benoit Chesneau <benoitc@enki-multimedia.eu>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Anyway way to set an interface IP not reassigned during netif ?

<benoitc@enki-multimedia.eu> wrote:
>=20
> Im' using the machine as a gateway and use one of the interface as an =
OOB access to the applications. I should be able to launch automated =
commands to re-configure the applications an other network interfaces =
from this OOB interface.=20

I would recommend you employ vnet jails for this kind of setup.

Leave one OOB interface in jail 0 (the host), and move all interfaces =
those are for routing to a dedicated vnet jail.

>=20
> The issue I have is that when I update the rc.conf and launch the =
command `service netif restart` and same for the `routing` it will reset =
all interfaces and reassign the configuration to them. Which disconnect =
the client making the upgrade. What would be the way the way to prevent =
it?=20

With dedicated vnet jail for routing (your business), then the setup is =
much clean and clear.

>=20
> For now I'm thinking to set the interfaces and routing  separatly but =
hen I miss the flexibility of rc.conf . Is there another way to do it =
and ensure an interface won't be resetted?
>=20
> Beno=C3=AEt
>=20

Best regards,