Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 1999 20:55:31 +0200
From:      Langa Kentane <LKentane@mweb.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   DNS problem (newbie)

I have a small network at home that I am messing around with trying to learn
FreeBSD.

I have five machines there and I am experimentin with DNS/Bind

I have setup named and it works when i test from all the machines using ping
and stuff.   The problem is that when I connect to my BSD server (http)
using ie3 with the FQDN I can't get to the web page.  But when I ping the
same FQDN or ftp to it, it works.

When I just connect to just the home name (namely just www as the address),
it works (but not www.impakt.net).

The client machine that I am using is Windoze 95.  This is how the zone file
looks.
Also please... correct me on my in-addr.arpa entries....  I think I must
have clucked up there...

Here goes:

;	From: @(#)localhost.rev	5.1 (Berkeley) 6/30/90
;	$Id: PROTO.localhost.rev,v 1.4 1997/05/01 21:02:37 ache Exp $
;
; This file is automatically edited by the `make-localhost' script in
; the /etc/namedb directory.
;

@	IN	SOA	wired.impakt.net. root.wired.impakt.net.  (
				19990217	; Serial
				3600	; Refresh
				900	; Retry
				3600000	; Expire
				3600 )	; Minimum
	IN	NS	wired.impakt.net.
1	IN	PTR	localhost.impakt.net.

; actual host name

wired		IN A	200.200.200.35		; This host
net32		IN A	200.200.200.33		;Interface 1 on netware
net64		IN A 	200.200.200.65		;Interface 2 on netware
net96		IN A	200.200.200.97		;Interface 3 on netware

; aliases

ewok		IN CNAME	net96		; Netwae server
www		IN CNAME 	wired		; www server
mail		IN CNAME	wired		; mail server
ftp		IN CNAME	wired		; ftp server

; mail server for domain

$ORIGIN 200.200.200.IN-ADDR-ARPA
	IN NS	wired
33	IN PTR	router1
65	IN PTR	router2
97	IN PTR	router3

$ORIGIN 0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA
	IN NS	wired.impakt.net
1	IN PTR	localhost.impakt.net

Thanks

Langa F. Kentane (CNA, MCP)    |   Unix, DOS & Window
Technical Suppot               |   The good, the bad & the ugly
M-Web Connect PTY/LTD          |   mailto:evablunted@earthling.net
Tel: +27 82 960 4963           |   http://members.xoom.com/evablunted