Date:      Thu, 05 Mar 1998 00:10:09 -0800
From:      Michael Oski <oski@pacbell.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>, Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: When: 2.2.5-stable branch freeze and beginning of 2.2.6-BETA

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > > I believe the next XFree86 release will still be based on X11R6.3.
> >
> >       Nothing personal because I don't know you, but one of the worst things
> > you can do on a technical list is guess. Please confirm your facts
> > before you state your opinions. Check out
> > http://www.camb.opengroup.org/tech/desktop/x/.
>
> I agree, uninformed guessing can be a bad thing.  What guess lies
> behind your claim that XFree86 3.3.2 will be based on X11R6.4?  Just
> because it's available internally to consortium members is by no means
> a declaration that the XFree86 project intends to track it in their
> upcoming point release of 3.3.2 and, in fact, I'd say that it'd be a
> very bad guess indeed to assume such a thing. :-)
>
>                                 Jordan

Ah, the joy of rash assumptions....

FYI - XFree86 v3.3.2 is still based on X11R6.3, you can verify by
checking the release notes included in the .tgz's.

Also, www.XFree86.org claims they have no scheduled release date for
version 4.0.

Now here's my assumption: this is most likely the first based on X11R6.4
;-)

Michael!