Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:31:38 +0200
From:      des@des.no (=?iso-8859-1?q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?=)
To:        Anish Mistry <mistry.7@osu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: devfs rules not applied on reattach

Anish Mistry <mistry.7@osu.edu> writes:
> Not sure if this is a bug or not, but my understanding of device rules th=
at
> are placed in /etc/devfs.conf are supposed to be applied when a device is
> attached. ie.
> perm da0  0666
> perm da0s1 0666
> perm da1  0666
> perm da1s1 0666
> perm da2  0666
> perm da2s1 0666
> perm da3  0666
> perm da3s1 0666

/etc/devfs.conf is only applied at boot and is mostly useless.

What you really want is to put something like the following in
/etc/devfs.rules:

> [system=3D10]
> add path 'da*' mode 0660

(see devfs(8) for details about the syntax)

and add the following line to /etc/rc.conf:

> devfs_system_ruleset=3D"system"

Someone[tm] should document this somewhere.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav - des@des.no