Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 18:10:48 +0100
From:      Stefano Riva <sriva@alice.it>
To:        Billy Ma <sbirdy@netvigator.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS:concept quest.on run more than 1 mail server at same time

At 00.23 21/01/99 +0800, you wrote:
>             We have a web site that run qpopper on a freebsd, support
>about 70
>persons, over 1000 mail per day, no joking, and recently, and we found
>that
>we need to setup more that one mail server, and I found some doc. how to

  I manage a mail server that supports over 100 people, 3500/4000 messages
per day, with FBSD/SM/QPOP and it runs smoothly on a P5/133 with a small
SCSI narrow HD (but I'm sure it would run OK even on a 486)... If you want
to install a second mail server for dynamic load balancing (for example
using DNS/routing round robin techniques), think about: do you really need it?
  If the answer is yes, then I've seen another reply to your message.
  If the answer is no, then you only need a backup machine; in that case,
the simplest way to set up it is to configure it (SM/QPOP) about like your
main server... Then place two MX records with different priority on your
primary DNS; if the server with highest priority is working properly, the
message will be delivered to it, otherwise the message will be delivered to
the backup server.

>3. beside, any suggestion on pop3 program?  do you think there are other
>one
>    run on FreeBSD that better than qpopper?

  There are other POP3 servers, but QPOP is the de-facto standard and it
works well, if you don't have big requirements.

---

  Stefano Riva
  Software Engineer - Systems Administrator
  Informazioni Editoriali I.E. Srl
  Phone +39-027528400, Fax +39-027528451
  Email sriva@alice.it