Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 1998 00:34:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Greg Hormann <ghormann@nix.kconline.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Uncle Flatline <flatline@pchb1f.gallaudet.edu>
Subject:   Re: 7 questions/problems from a former Linux, new FreeBSD user

On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, Greg Hormann wrote:

> > 4) When telnetting to my Linux host, the system correctly translates
> >    IP name to IP numeric address, tells me it's connected, and then
> >    immediately says "Connection closed by foreign host".
>
> I have run into this one before.  This is because Linux doesn't now about
> the cons25 term type.
>
> Solution: tell Linux about the cons25 term type.

Another work around I use on my ISPs dumb shell host (BSDI 3.1) in .bashrc

if [ "$TERM" = "cons25" ]; then
	export TERM=scoansi
fi

This gives better results than using VT100.  Also, if you switch to the VT
2xx driver instead of the SCO driver, make sure you edit /etc/ttys.  By
default the local consoles are set to TERM=cons25.  If you don't change
both at the same time, you'll get the wrong escape codes.

Linux: The Microsoft Windows(tm) of the Unix(tm) world.

- alex