Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 2002 00:39:54 -0500
From:      Scott Dodson <sdodson@eagle4.cc.gasou.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dnet causes Hard Lock on SMP kernel? ( was 'Why is my -current system Hard Locking?' )

On 07-Nov-2002, Joel M. Baldwin wrote:
> --On Friday, November 08, 2002 8:45 AM +0900 Jun Kuriyama=20
> <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp> wrote:
>=20
> >At Thu, 7 Nov 2002 22:55:56 +0000 (UTC),
> >Joel M. Baldwin <qumqats@outel.org> wrote:
> >>I'm still pursuing the cause of the Hard Locks on my system.
> >>
> >>1.) I have a serial console hooked up.  Nothing appears on
> >>    the console when a Hard Lock happens.  No panic.
> >>2.) Shorting IOCHK to ground on the ISA connector doesn't work
> >>    on a ABIT BP6, so I can't force myself into ddb.
> >>
> >>The BIG thing is that I now have a sure fire way of forcing
> >>a Hard Lock.  Every time I run the distributed.net client
> >>'dnet' the system hard locks.  BUT ONLY ON A SMP KERNEL!
> >>I have a non SMP kernel running and things so far
> >>seem stable.  Running the system with only 1 CPU is slow,
> >>so it'll take a while for me to be sure.
> >
> >I got same result on my box.  Only solution I have is deinstall
> >dnetc.  :-)
> >
> >--
> >Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp> // IMG SRC, Inc.
>=20
> What motherboard/CPU is this on?
> Have you tried a nonSMP kernel?

I noticed my machine started locking up almost a month ago
and ended up removing all services on startup.  Starting dnetc
back up and the machine locks hard.  Sorry for lack of info, but
this appears to be just over a month old.  The info I wrote down
previously pointed to kern_fork.c and proctree function call.

--=20
Scott Dodson  		PGP KEY id 0x5F9A9E5E=20
sdodson@sdodson.com	sdodson@distributed.net=09