Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 1997 11:16:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        thomas@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit:  ports/x11/tix/patches etc.

On Tue, 7 Jan 1997, Satoshi Asami wrote:

>  * Sorry, I'm playing catch-up.  You guys have transferred a lot of traffic
>  * since last night.  Tk and it's cousins have no need for the large majority
>  * of the .h files, in or out of generic, so adding them is pure useless
>  * bloat.  The location that the tk port uses to put it's files,
>  * /usr/local/include, is the one that is expected for most of the tcltk
>  * software, and that stuff finds it fine.
>  *
>  * The problem is mostly that half our tcltk stuff is in the /usr/local
>  * hierarchy, the other half in /usr/include.  It's not that much of a
>  * problem, either.
>  *
>  * Let me gen up a version of tix that works ok, give me an hour.  Right now,
>  * when it can't find the tclconfig.sh and tkconfig.sh files in the same
>  * locations that it finds the include files, it dies, but that's trivial to
>  * fix.  Be right back.
>
> Did you find a solution?
>
> I really don't sure it's that simple though.  The only file the tk
> port (currently) installs in /usr/local/include is tk.h, and that is
> clearly not enough considering all those ports out there who do a
> DEPENDS on x11/tk41.

Geeze, while I'm on vacation, I'm staying up late, but allthe traffic on
this seems to occur between 2-8 in the morning.  By the time I read this,
I'm real late.

Notice that the number of files that I politicked to get installed by tcl
was small.  Go ahead, take a look at /usr/include/tcl, those generic and
unix subdirs are real sparse, and do serve the purpose.  You _don't_ need
to install _all_ the tk headers, just do the ones that Tix wants.  If you
like, I'll personally verify other ports of tk dependent stuff, and make
sure it works.  The 100K byte bloat for a full (and useless) tk subdir in
/usr/local is just too much, I think, and it'll never be used.  What's
more, as new tk installs go in, and the files in the include get changed,
we'll get orphans in /usr/local/include/tk from older tk versions that'll
never be updated.  Remember, 8.0 is in alpha *right now*, so let's do this
right, and avoid a headache.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |