Date:      Wed, 8 Apr 1998 00:05:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Marco A. Barbosa S." <mbarbosa@fciencias.ens.uabc.mx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nis/nfs problem (continued...)

On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Marco A. Barbosa S. wrote:

> >> 	network segment on LAN (novell netware,ethernet,thin coax )
> >> 	is ok, but Xcalibur gets stuck. If someone is logged in
> >> 	Fciencias, they still have net access to everywhere,
> >> 	but Xcalibur gets isolated. Any user in Fciencias, loses
> >> 	files and noone else can login due to nis/dns failure.
> >
> >Why does Xcalibur get stuck?  How?  Please be more specific. Can you ping
> >it?  Can you connect out OK from xcalibur?
>
> sorry, I had specified all of that in an earlier mail... (try 1) but
> I kinda sent it to the owner I think... *chuckle* that is what the
> previous "ooops" was about...
>

> 	ok... stuck, as in... no more Xcalibur, noone on the network
> 	can connect to it... it does not exist... well, some times
> 	if you leave a telnet long enough to it, after 3 + minutes
> 	it gives you the ^] thing to tell you you can disconnect with
> 	it.. but nothing more...

Okay, we've established that you can't contact Xcalibur when it goes brain
dead.  Now, can Xcalibur connect to anyone during this period, ie if
you're sitting at the console can you ping/telnet anywhere?

> >Either xcalibur is going south or your network is going south.  Hangups
> >on the client sound like a loss of NIS connecivity, and a later
> >reconnection.  You should get log entries when the NIS connection is lost
> >and regained.
>
> 	South? what do you mean south?

It's an expression meaning that it stopped working -- it went on vacation,
probably to a warm vacation spot south of us :)

> Mar 26 20:13:25 Fciencias su: mbarbosa to root on /dev/ttyp3
> Mar 26 20:24:26 Fciencias ypbind[100]: NIS server [148.231.177.8] for domain "RED_FC" not responding
> Mar 26 20:24:31 Fciencias routed[70]: interface ed1 to 148.231.177.14 broken: in=1 ierr=0 out=1 oerr=2

Routed notices.

> Mar 26 20:28:27 Fciencias /kernel: nfs server xcalibur:/usr/usuarios: not responding

Hm, nfs notices that it goes away too.

> >Perhaps a daemon is going nuts?  Check top.
>
> yes, that is my latest guess... otherwise, it would not have been
> fixed with the -HUPing... any ideas? btw, I am kinda in spring
> break.. *chuckle* else I would have replied sooner... sorry.

No, actually, HUPping everything may fix it since it encourages the server
to dump all outstanding connections and reinitialize itself.  Or it's some
very simple server that HUPping kills completely.

What type of NIC is in Xcalibur, and what type of network is it connected
to?