Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 22:30:42 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pack management

On 12 Sep 1999, Harry Putnam wrote:

>Having seen several mentions on this list  of FreeBSD package
>managment being better than rpm.  I'm looking for the diagnostic type
>commands that will reveal the state of the system or a particular
>package.
>
>Or a way to trace the files installed when a package is installed,
>extract individual original files from packages.  Or find which
>package holds a particular file.
>
>Hopefully pkg_info, pkg_add, pkg_delete  isn't all of it.

To know where a file was install pkg_info -f package_name.

To extract a known file from a package use tar -xf.

The pkg system doesn't index every file on your system. Only files
installed as a pkg/port. The organization is by package and not by file.
That is to say there is not a filename cross reference capability that is
inimical to the pkg/port system. There is a package name cross reference
and dependency capability.

You can still find out which package holds a file though.
E.g.

$ grep -lR kdestroy /var/db/pkg
$ /var/db/pkg/krb5-1.0.6/+CONTENTS

Kerberos V contains the file named kdestroy as listed in the packing list
which is named +CONTENTS.

The answer to everything you want to know is in /var/db/pkg. pkg_info et
al can provide you with everything you want to know at the package level.
To find out waht you want to know at a file level just use your basic unix
tools.

Also, packages(binary) and ports(source) are managed identically. If you
roll your own, the system still works.

Thank You, 	| http://students.washington.edu/jcwells
Jason Wells	| "Those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither