Date:      Mon, 08 Feb 1999 14:07:56 -0800
From:      charon@freethought.org
To:        haro@tk.kubota.co.jp (Munehiro Matsuda)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CTM

At 06:00 PM 2/8/99 +0900, Munehiro Matsuda wrote:
>Hi,
>
>From: charon@freethought.org
>Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 18:53:12 -0800
>::After reading http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook272.html and 'man
>::ctm' several times, I have to say that I still don't understand it very
>::well.  Take this example from the handbook:
>::<snip>
>::To apply the deltas, simply say:
>::
>::     cd /where/ever/you/want/the/stuff
>::     ctm -v -v /where/you/store/your/deltas/src-xxx.*
>::</snip>
>::
>::What on earth is "/where/ever/you/want/the/stuff"?  The
>::"/where/you/store/your/deltas/" is obvious, but there's no explanation at
>::all for the first directory.
>::
>::I think this is the only problem I have, because if when I run ctm it says
>::that everything checks out okay, but I don't think it's in the right
>::directory (i.e. I ran ctm in /usr/CTM, where I have the gzipped deltas, and
>::the result sure doesn't look right).  I think I just need a little more
>::hand-holding than the documentation provides...  Thanks,
>
>You have to create your own "/where/ever/you/want/the/stuff" directory
>and apply yor deltas. For example,
>
>  # mkdir /usr/src/3.0-STABLE
>  # cd /usr/src/3.0-STABLE
>  # ctm -v /where/you/store/your/deltas/src-3.*

Okay, I did this, but I still have a question... df shows 431878K free on
/usr before doing ctm (that's 39% full), and 241579K free on /usr _after_
doing ctm (that's 66% full).  That's about 185MB - is that supposed to
happen?  I'm used to upgrades _replacing_ things instead of _adding_ (at
least _that_ much!).  Is there something else I'm supposed to do after I
use the ctm command, or is the outcome I got just normal?  Thanks,

	        Charon@freethought.org
       http://members.home.net/tuathadedanann/

Sitting in the glove compartment makes me claustrophobic.