Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 1996 15:22:58 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@Mcs.Net>
To:        se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        wjw@IAEhv.nl, hardware@freebsd.org, scsi@freebsd.org, admin@IAEhv.nl
Subject:   Re: SCSI disks

> Hmmm, that's surprising, since my current development system uses
> a Quantum Atlas (though its the XP32150S, the 2GB version). This
> drive worked with the NCR driver of Spring 1995 at least, when I
> first tested it.
>
> I'm quite sure that the Adaptec 1542 supported it as well, since
> it is hard to find a device that doesn't work on the Adpatec, and
> the Atlas is really well designed (IMHO).
>
> The Quantum Grand-Prix (XP34301S) is a different beast. It has got
> bad press because of many failed (or DOA) drives, and it is noisy
> and significantly slower than the Atlas, though both are 7200RPM
> drives.
>
> You may also want to have a look at the IBM DHFS series, which is
> also very fast and AFAIK reliable.
>
> Can't comment on recent Seagate drives.
>
> Regards, STefan

The Quantum Atlas 4.3GB disks outperform Seagate Hawks in our news
configuration by *at least* 2:1.

I highly recommend them.  2MB internal cache buffer, read-ahead, tagged
queueing, the whole 9 yards.  Fast as hell and full Fast/Wide support to
boot.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1 from $600 monthly; speeds to DS-3 available
			     | 23 Chicagoland Prefixes, 13 ISDN, much more
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
Fax:   [+1 312 248-9865]     | Home of Chicago's only FULL Clarinet feed!