Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 2000 10:53:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Kruk <meshko@cs.brandeis.edu>
To:        Michael Chin-Yuan Wu <keichii@bsdconspiracy.net>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: userland nfs

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Michael Chin-Yuan Wu wrote:

> | I am looking for a topic for senior thesis and came up with an idea of a
> | file sharing tool, something like nfs which would have the following
> | properties:
> | * run as a userland process without root privileges
> | * allow different sharing modes (e.g. async, locks, cvs/coda-style with
> |   merging, may be something else)
>
> You do realize that there exists applications for each of the things
> you want?  All you have to do is integrate them.

Well, I am aware of the ACLs implementation for various Unix file systems
Not so sure about sharing files without running something like nfs.
Can you point me at some examples?

> | * support for ACLs
> | * support for multiple daemons on the same host, i.e. if two users want to
> | share their files at the same time their servers will cooperate
>
> * support for non-English languages

may be... it would depend on the underlying system support for the
localized characters in file names, right?

> | Of course I am thinking of implementing it on FreeBSD (though as user
> | process it should not depend on OS/kernel)
>
> Um... Coda? Samba? :)

well, Coda is on the whole different level. It's a file system, not a high
level sharing tool. And samba is just for compatability with MS
protocols... So i guess what I am talking about is a bit different. No?

thanks for response :)