Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 09:20:50 +0100
From:      Robert Wright <robert@pluris.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Slow booting with 2.2.7 on new 5.1gb IDE disk

I just installed a 5.1gb E IDE hard disk in my system. Then did a fresh
install of 2.2.7. The install went fine. However when the system boots it
takes *forever* to read the bootstrap files and the kernel.

I checked the faqs and found two things that might apply:

- There are disk geometry issues I need to look into
- The root partition  must be less in the first 504mb.

When I labelled the disk I made root 150mb and made it the first partition
so I think the second one shouldn't be a problem.

Two other things concern me:

- This is an old PC with an IDE not E IDE controller while the disk is E
IDE. Salesman said this shouldn't be an issue. (-:
- The BIOS on this system is six years old. I think it suffers from the old
504mb limit issue. Are there any solutions to this if it is a problem?

Robert