Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 1997 17:22:04 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        steve@visint.co.uk (Stephen Roome)
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Who is interested in /dev/midi and /dev/synth ?

> Anyway, I don't have much info on this, all I know is that with my AWE64
> is very good at helping to hang my machine.
>
> I've tried to use rosegarden a few times so far, first I tried the Randall

i have successfully run rosegarden instructing it to pipe the output
through "timidity". I did not find a way to make this the default
behaviour, so it was a bit annoying to select the output every time;
but it was probably my fault for not having digged too deep in the docs.

Furthermore, it is my understanding that
the "portal" file system probably allows you to connect a
name in the filesystem to a process so that you can make
"/dev/sequencer" redirect to a process running "timdity" and have a
software synthesizer (OSS has a product like this).

The concept of portal is very nice the only unknown is that I have no
idea how much of it really works having never used it.

	Cheers
	Luigi