Date:      18 Sep 2000 23:53:33 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mergemaster RFC (long)

Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org> wrote:

> > 	First, the things I am definitely going to do. Christian "naddy"
> > Weisgerber has taken on the task of porting mm to openbsd.
>
> I think it would be nice to aim to keep the two scripts exactly the
> same, using `uname` when it's really necessary.

If I have interpreted the noises Theo has made correctly, he wants
mergemaster in the base tree.  I don't think he'll keep a "case
`uname` ..." in there.

Most of the diff deals with two simple differences:
- mergemaster uses "read -p <prompt>" throughout.  That fails for
  OpenBSD's /bin/sh (pdksh), where "read -p" means something entirely
  different.
- On OpenBSD, "install" is synonymous to "install -c".  FreeBSD still
  has the old behavior where plain "install" deletes the source file.

If we can get rid of those, the actual differences become more
visible.

Oh, and changing every instance of "FreeBSD" into "${OPSYS}" or
some such would remove another few diff lines.

> I think having
>
>   IGNOREFILES="a b c"
>
> isn't necessary when it's as easy to have
>
>   rm a b c
>
> in your start script.  It seems like overkill to handle ignored files
> specifically.

Well, I don't know.  Something like "IGNOREFILES=..." was the first
thing to come to my mind.