Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 1999 23:49:16 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@osinga.org>
To:        Isaac Flemming <iflemmin@mission.mvnc.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Kenny W Drobnack <kdrobnac@mission.mvnc.edu>
Subject:   Re: Dumb terminal(s) through serial connection(s)

Isaac Flemming wrote:

> According to all the FAQ's/tutorials I have read my terminals (assuming
> they are properly connected) should be getting a login prompt but they are
> not. I am very new at this and am at a total loss as what to try next. Is
> there any way I can be sure the terminals are connected correctly (I am
> pretty sure they are, I am using standard serial/modem cables), and if
> they are connected correctly is there anything I am missing?

Yes there is. As others have already said you need null-modem cables. If
you don't have them you can make 'm quite easily. The most basic form
is connecting pins 2-3, 3-2, 7-7.

The next thing you need to do is to setup the handshaking. With the
minimum cable, or when you're still testing, you need a lower baudrate
and no handshaking. So 9600 bps, tops. Then try and see if something
happens. If not hook up 2 CRTs with that null-modem cable and see
if you type on one it appears on the other and vice-versa. If not
I hope you got MC-1488/89's (or something like that, been awhile).
Static electricity is known to blow those chips. They're responsible
to up the UART TTL signals to RS-232C levels.

Only after that you go to higher baudrates and handshaking. You will
be wanting hardware handshaking, since that's fastest and frees the
^Q & ^S keys (XON, XOFF). Howewer that will also mean you'll need
at least another wire in your cable connecting the right pins. Is
described in the Wyse manual.

HTH, Roelof

--
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.