Date:      Mon, 03 May 1999 15:42:08 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current state of the conventional wisdom?

Doug White wrote:

> On Mon, 3 May 1999, Studded wrote:

> > 1. As far as I can see, 3.1-Stable is the way to go. I need info on the
> > best way to upgrade a 2.2.8 system to 3.1-Stable, going fully(?) elf in
> > the process.
>
> I suggest holding off until 3.5.  3.X is a total mess at the moment

	Heh... so I see not much has changed? One of the things that stable
employment affords me is a better hardware budget, so I have a scratch
box that I can play with, and 3.1 cd's as a backup. :)  Is there any ETA
on 3.5? I saw "june" mentioned on the list, but I can't wait that long
to get started with these projects. Is there a web page with a canonical
2.2.8 -> 3.1/4.x upgrade procedure? Or is there any other advice
available?

> > 4. I definitely need fast, reliable NFS if I'm going to sell the people
> > at work on using freebsd, so how is that working in 3.1, or am I better
> > off going to 4.x? I will be interfacing primarily with sun's. I have
> > seen a flurry of nfs-related mail in the last few days, trying to catch
> > up on that now.
>
> 3.X does not have reliable NFS yet, AFAIK.

	Ok... I've done a little more reading and it seems that the good NFS
stuff is happening in the 4.x branch. Are there concrete plans to port
this back to what becomes 3.5? And if not, how stable is -current right
now? Since I have a machine that is totally trashable at this point, I
wouldn't hesitate to give it a go if -current is in a usable condition
currently.

> > 4. I used to use KDE for my day-to-day workstation, is that still the
> > best choice for a reliable, no-frills X workstation environment?
>
> If you want no-frills, try WindowMaker.  A quarter the size and plenty of
> functionality.

	Yeah, I was planning to give WM another look when I stopped having time
to play with freebsd at home, thanks for the tip.

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

Nominated for quote of the year is the statement made by Representative
Dick Armey (Texas), who when asked if he were in the President's place,
would he resign, responded:

"If I were in the President's place I would not get a chance to resign.
I would be lying in a pool of my own blood hearing Mrs. Armey standing
over me saying, 'How do I reload this damn thing?'"