Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 08:35:40 +0000
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@dsuper.net>, David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>, iedowse@maths.tcd.ie, freebsd-net@freebsd.org, dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie
Subject:   Re: M_RDONLY: review & comment

> using char * is unsafe if the aim is to tag mbufs that were allocated
> by some module, if the midule is unloaded..
> (the mbufs may hang around in some queu way afte the module has gone..
> and an attempt to follow the char 8 pointer......)

If a module which is responsible for mbufs with external storage,
then the free function for that storage will be in the module. If,
after the module is unloaded, mbufs are still allocated which are
using this external storage things will blow up when they are freed.

So if the free function is still there, so will what the char *
points at. (Unless I'm missing something...)

	David.