Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 1995 23:44:23 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com
Cc:        adam@veda.is, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: CVSROOT avail

 * Please don't use the NO_PACKAGE as the criteria on weither the distfiles
 * end up on the CDROM this time.  Many distfiles where left off of the 2.0.5
 * CDROM and it appears that this was used as the criteria for doing it.  I
 * already mentioned one to you that was this way in private email (elm) and
 * just want to make sure that you have found a ``better'' criteria mechanism
 * for what distfiles go on the cdrom.

It's not been the "criteria", Rod...it's only that there is no safe
and convenient mechanism other than "make package" to do the top-down
build. ;)

I'm planning to revamp the whole legal/commercial/slimey license
paradigm after 2.1 goes out.  For instance, the ones that say "don't
sell for profit" can be on the ftp site as distfiles and packages.

 * I don't have a list of ones I have run accross but I know there where at
 * least 2 or 3 of them that the only reason they are not packages is because
 * they have compiled in gunk that makes packaging them impractical.
 *
 * Seems here is yet another one :-).

For now, we need to figure this out case-by-case.  Here is what I
found:

=====
>> grep NO_PACKAGE /usr/ports/*/*/Makefile
/usr/ports/comms/kermit/Makefile:NO_PACKAGE=    yes
/usr/ports/comms/rzsz/Makefile:NO_PACKAGE=      yes
/usr/ports/databases/msql/Makefile:NO_PACKAGE=  yes
/usr/ports/editors/e93/Makefile:NO_PACKAGE=     yes
/usr/ports/editors/joe/Makefile:NO_PACKAGE=     yes
/usr/ports/editors/uzap/Makefile:NO_PACKAGE=     yes
/usr/ports/games/xinvaders/Makefile:NO_PACKAGE= yes
/usr/ports/games/xrisk/Makefile:NO_PACKAGE=     yes
/usr/ports/graphics/xv/Makefile:NO_PACKAGE=     yes
/usr/ports/japanese/netscape.language/Makefile:NO_PACKAGE=      yes
/usr/ports/mail/elm/Makefile:NO_PACKAGE=     yes     # I don't know, why
/usr/ports/math/maxima/Makefile:NO_PACKAGE=     yes
/usr/ports/net/gn/Makefile:NO_PACKAGE=
/usr/ports/net/irc/Makefile:NO_PACKAGE= yes
/usr/ports/net/netscape/Makefile:NO_PACKAGE=    yes
/usr/ports/net/netscape2/Makefile:NO_PACKAGE=   yes
/usr/ports/net/wn/Makefile:NO_PACKAGE=
/usr/ports/news/inn/Makefile:NO_PACKAGE=        yes
/usr/ports/news/rkive/Makefile:NO_PACKAGE=yes
/usr/ports/russian/netscape.language/Makefile:NO_PACKAGE=     YES
/usr/ports/security/pgp/Makefile:NO_PACKAGE=     YES
/usr/ports/security/ssh/Makefile:NO_PACKAGE=    YES
/usr/ports/utils/rman/Makefile:NO_PACKAGE=      yes
/usr/ports/utils/tkman/Makefile:NO_PACKAGE=     yes
/usr/ports/x11/XFree86/Makefile:NO_PACKAGE      =       yes
=====

And ports/LEGAL says:

=====
Dist                    Port                    Why
cku190.tar.gz           ports/comms/kermit      Restrictive copyright
ivs3.4-src.tar.gz       ports/net/ivs           Crypto; export-controlled
maxima-5.0-beta         ports/math/maxima       License required
pgp262s.zip             ports/utils/pgp*        Various locality restrictions
rzsz3_36.zip            ports/comms/rzsz        Restrictive copyright
tkman-1.7.3.tar.Z       ports/x11/tkman         Restrictive copyright
rman-2.4.tar.Z          ports/utils/rman        Restrictive copyright
xrisk-2.13.tar.Z        ports/games/xrisk       Copyright/trademark violation?
xtetris-2.5.2.tar.gz    ports/games/xtetris     Possible trademark violation
mmv/*                   ports/utils/mmv         Restrictive/unclear copyright
xv-3.10a.tar.gz         ports/graphics/xv       Restrictive copyright
irc-2.8.21.tar.gz       ports/net/irc           Restrictive copyright
                                                in irc2.8.21/ircd/res.c
e93-1.2r5X.tar.gz       ports/editors/e93       Restrictive copyright?
uzap.tar.gz             ports/editors/uzap      Restrictive copyright
joe2.8.tar.Z            ports/editors/joe       Restrictive copyright
rkive3.1.tar.gz         ports/news/rkive        Restrictive copyright
netscape-*              ports/net/netscape      Commercial product
msql-1.0.5.tar.gz       ports/databases/msql    Restrictive copyright
ssh-*                   ports/security/ssh      Crypto; export-controlled
xinvaders-*             ports/games/xinvaders   Don't sell for profit
=====

Which means, elm, gn, wn, inn, and XFree86 don't have distribution
problems.  I've already fetched elm, wn and XFree86, can I do the same
for gn and inn?  Maintainers?  Adam & Torsten? :)

Satoshi