Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 22:49:10 -0400
From:      "Michael P. Deslippe" <bgy2452@lists.dcro.dla.mil>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Kernel: Variables

 I am assembling my first kernel (and it's running after two false starts -
yay!).  While selecting my options, I was referring to a book I received
when I first ordered this as 2.1.5 called "Running and Installing FreeBSD"
It was kindly provided with mmy first CD-ROMs from Walnut Creek.  I am now
running 2.2.2 and there are differences not covered in the book.  I did a
WEB search on the FreeBSD page, but also got nothing useful.

The Questions:  What is option "failsafe" (What's it for and how to
establish it).? How do I select and/or configure options userconfig and
visual_userconfig?

Next, I just threw a 2.5 Gb Hard Drive in, so when I loaded FreeBSD - I just
picked ALL and let her rip.  Default partitions, sizes, etc.  Unfortunately,
I have now run out of room.  Is there a way to enlarge /, /var, /proc,
shrinking /usr to make up the difference on a live system? or do I have to
repartition, format and begin again?

p.s. What's the danger of running / at 101% capacity (according to DF)

Finally (and you can write privately since it's not FreeBSD related.  Why
when I look at computer adds, things called "servers" are 2-6 times the
price of non-server computers with the same processor, memory, harddisk etc.
>From the ads, you'd think they were the same, but the server could be
$12,000 to $25,000 for a 300MHz PentiumPro, 128Mb Ram, 9Gb SCSI, CD, Audio -
while a competing desktop machine is $4,000 - $6,000 - what's the diff?

---Mike