Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 2015 13:12:58 +0000
From:      Tim Borgeaud <timothy.borgeaud@framestore.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@hergotha.csail.mit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS: kernel modules (loading/unloading) and scheduling

Hi Rick, Garret & others,

Thanks for the replies and useful info. I may take a look at enabling some
kernel module reloading, but, if the usual approach is rebooting, I expect
that this won't be an issue.

Regarding the NFS functionality itself, I can give a bit more of an overview
of our (Framestore) NFS use and what NFS server functionality we are
considering.

We have NFS storage systems accessed by both an HPC cluster and also multiple
desktop users. Like many organizations, we want to have, and get the most
from, high performance NFS storage, in terms of both total IO and low
latency.

One of the demands that we face is to allow users, as nodes of the cluster or
more interactive desktops, to be provided with a reasonable level of service
from heavily loaded systems. We do want to allow "users" to apply high
load, but would like to avoid such requests from starving others.

We are considering scheduling of NFS RPCs such that both client transports
(xprt) and users themselves are given a fair share, including where a
single user is using multiple transports.

At the same time, we don't want hurt performance by loss of file handle
affinity or similar (though it may be quite nice to remove responsibility
from the RPC/NFS layer).

We've already prototyped a 'fair' schedule when servicing the RPC requests,
which appears to be an improvement. But, as Garrett pointed out, we may
have moved onto bottlenecks in sending replies and, possibly, reading
requests.

It may be that, with such cases as slow clients, overall performance could
also be improved.

--
Tim Borgeaud
Systems Developer