Date:      Thu, 01 Oct 1998 12:13:34 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), karl@Denninger.Net, tom@uniserve.com, dnelson@emsphone.com, bright@hotjobs.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Long IDE probes?

> > The "bootable" qualifier is a non-issue.  The correct question would be
> > "does anyone have a device which is not ATA-3 compliant and/or takes
> > some time to respond to a Software Reset command"?
> >
> > You were the WD1007 champion for a long time, Terry.  Still carrying
> > the flag?
>
> Sure.  WD1007 ESDI probes very, very quickly, since you are required
> to identify the drives in CMOS, and the kernel can read CMOS.
>
> ...NEXT!

You're only "required" to indentify the boot device.  The WD1007 may
not be the boot device.  It may not even have an x86 BIOS onboard (eg.
ex-Apollo WD1007-ASV).

I'm merely championing the pathalogical cases here.  I'd like nothing
more than to scrap everything that doesn't meet PC97 and start working
on things that will really help, but there are too many people out
there with noncompliant hardware that'd kill me.