Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2002 12:20:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      Diana Eichert <deichert@wrench.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail and virus checking

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Scot W. Hetzel wrote:

> From: "Scott Blaydes" <sblaydes@rnetinc.net>
> > Has anyone found any good virus scanning software/plug-ins for sendmail?
> I am currently running amavis-perl v11, but it is causing my load to
> skyrocket at time due to the overhead of calling perl multiple times.

SNIP

take a look at:
http://daemoninc.com/speedycgi/

CGI::SpeedyCGI - Speed up perl CGI scripts by running them persistently

This might help.  Note, Sam specifically mentions CGI scripts, however
I've used it on a regular basis on several systems that run 50-60 perl
scripts every 5 minutes.  Depending on the amount of memory available,
start up a predefined number of perl interpreters via speedy.  This way
you minimize the overhead of starting perl.