Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 2018 11:03:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DEFAULT_VERSIONS conflicts

>> Sorry, the language there is unclear. It should say "ssl=[name of the port]".
>> You just want the ssl=libressl line.

Ah, so the "base" specified here is a constant whereas "port" is a
variable, to be expanded before writing make.conf.  If I might then
suggest a potential documentation update:

< WITH_OPENSSL_BASE                  DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= ssl=base
< WITH_OPENSSL_PORT                  DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= ssl=port

> WITH_OPENSSL_BASE                  DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= ssl=base
> or
> WITH_OPENSSL_PORT                  DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= ssl=[openssl|libressl|...]

Roger